Funding Institution: European Committee, Call: Erasmus+ Key Action 2 – “KA203 - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education
Principal Investigator: Prof. Ilaria Cacciotti
BRAIN IT-Innovative technologies in Neurosurgery Study is aimed at promoting international strategic partnerships with teaching and research activities, with the involvement of three different countries: Romania (Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu), Spain (Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) and Italy (University of Rome “Niccolò Cusano”). It was financed in the context of the Erasmus+ Key Action 2 Call– “KA203 - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education.
BrainIT project aims to:
- Employ the strategic use of ICT technologies in teaching/training activities by using a telemedicine approach to create an innovative best practice environment in the form of an 3Dlive-transmission where students and resident doctors can experience non-invasive surgery procedures.
- Create interactive teaching and training aids for students using 3D technology-3D reconstruction of the skull on various pathologies: tumors,traumas.
- ISP of 14 days ‘traineeships’ in a working hospital, where the course participants will get to real life working experience accompanying the whole diagnostic process.
- Create a reader-friendly online platform which can facilitate the access of graduates, residents and even physicians without material possibilities to new technologies and new discoveries in neurosurgery.
- Make a closer connection between European neurosurgery. This project requires transnational highly specialized know-how and expertize which is hard to be found in a single country.
A dedicated web site was created and published online (https://grants.ulbsibiu.ro/brainit/), as well as a facebook page (https://fb.me/brainitErasmus). An elearning platform was developed and published online, in order to download all the didactical contributions, as well as the scientific ones. Two meetings were organised, the first one in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, the second one in Rome. The first summerschool “Trauma in Neurosurgery” occurred in Sibiu (July 15th -28th 2019) with the participation of more 30 students from Romania, Spain and Italy. The skull printing was set up sing different innovative materials. An European Horizon 2020 project was submitted with the involvement of all of three BRAIN IT partners. Several scientific activities are in progress and the second summerschool “Neuro-oncology” will be organised in Sibiu in July 2020 (July 13th -26th 2020).
Other Project Partners
- Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu
- Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Sibiu County Emergency Clinical Hospital
Start date: September 2018
End date: September 2021