The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering - Building Engineering of Niccolò Cusano University aims to offer students the basic knowledge in the field of Engineering and practical skills to project civil constructions. The course is available online and, through additional services, on campus.
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering- programme overview
The Bachelor's degree programme in Civil Engineering aims to train civil engineers capable of covering technical functions in the field of civil engineering projects, collaborating with the preparatory activities and documentation, working as a team in the executive phases of worksite organisation, and collaborating in ordinary or extraordinary maintenance activities on facilities and infrastructures.
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering - Building Engineering - programme overview
The Bachelor's degree is designed to train Civil Engineers able to follow all the phases of a civil construction project and its ordinary or extraordinary maintenance.
The course aims to provide a methodological education, with a depth study of mathematics, physics, chemistry, information technology, and specific knowledge of the disciplines related to Civil Engineering. Graduates will be able to solve simple problems and issues in the field of Civil Engineering.
The expected learning outcomes, therefore, mainly concern:
- basic knowledge focused on mathematical analysis, geometry and physics to be able to understand and describe the Civil Engineering problems;
- appropriate acknowledge of the Civil Engineering sciences with the ability to identify, formulate and solve problems, using updated methods, techniques and tools;
- to use techniques and tools for components, systems and planning;
- to acquire basic cognitive tools required to keep their knowledge updated;
- language and computer knowledge aimed to improve the Civil Engineer integration skills into the overseas working environment.
Student are required to complete their preparation with an internship, in order acquire professional skills. Furthermore, the Bachelor's degree prepares the student to access the Master's degree in Civil Engineer.
The online bachelor's degree is the ideal solution for all students, in particular for those unable to attend a traditional university.
The BA degree in Civil Engineering (online) is designed for those who are unable to attend a traditional education programme due to distance or professional commitments.
Through Unicusano e-learning platform, it is possible to attend the Civil Engineering degree classes online, to study using computer storage media at home, at your own pace and take the exam at the nearest exam centre. Thanks to the teaching quality and to the broad number of authorised exams centres spread across Italy, Unicusano is today the best choice for students willing to earn an online degree in Civil Engineering.
The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering prepares professionals who work mainly in the field of building design and construction.
During the Bachelor's degree course in Civil Engineering, the student will acquire specific skills:
- cooperate with planning and managing Civil Engineering works, in accordance with the law;
- perform test and audit about the functionality and safety of structures and infrastructures;
- perform calculations and sizing for medium complexity facilities;
- cooperate in the survey of structures and infrastructures;
- manage ordinary and extraordinary maintenance of facilities and infrastructure;
- manage relationships with clients, workers and institutions.
- companies, corporations, trusts and agencies responsible for the design, implementation and management of structural and infrastructural works or infrastructure networks;
- building and maintenance companies;
- engineering companies and professional firms.
The civil engineer is able to manage different disciplines involved in the architectural project, which allows a complete assessment of the process from the planning to the management of the finished project.
The course allows the graduate to:
- become familiar with the most recent technology for sustainability and energy saving;
- perform static calculations for concrete structures, using standardised methods;
- develop good skills in Technical drawing;
- implement a planimetric and altimetric survey;
- be able to set out Civil Engineering structures;
- know the design techniques, from the description, to the survey and the modelling of buildings;
- recognise the historical and environmental elements of the territory;
- know the origin of urbanism, its evolution and its most common tools;
- read and understand the contents of urban planning tools;
- use the technical language to communicate with specialists.
The civil engineers can work in:
- public bodies and administrations;
- construction companies;
- building material manufacturers;
- associated professional studios.
The role of the Civil Engineer in public sector and administrations is mainly aimed to the design and management of civil constructions on the territory.
Civil Engineers in Building Companies should be able to manage construction sites of public and private buildings.
Civil Engineers in Building Material Manufacturers should be able to control the quality of the production.
The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineer can become a freelance professional, once passed the Esame di Stato according to the current Italian legislation.
The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering prepares students to the following careers (ISTAT DATA):
- Civil construction technicians and similar professions - (184.108.40.206.0);
- Water networks and other fluids technician - (220.127.116.11.2);
- Building site management technicians - (18.104.22.168.0).
A high-school diploma or an equivalent qualification gained abroad is required for the access to the course.
A good knowledge of Maths and Physics is also necessary.
The necessary preparation to enroll in the course will be evaluated through a non-binding test, on Unicusano e-learning. In the case of a negative result, compulsory modules will be assigned to the student.
Educational aims and course plan outline
The main objective of the degree in Civil Engineering is to form top-level Engineers with basic knowledge in civil engineering (structural, hydraulic, geotechnical and transportation) and environmental engineering (technologies, environmental, protection of the territory and safety). The knowledge acquired regards:
- methodological and deductive aspects of mathematics and physics;
- structure, properties and transformations of the topic described in chemistry;
- methodological and practical aspects of mechanics, particularly to the modelling of the mechanical performance of materials, structures, fluids and lands;
- compliance and the functional, regulatory and environmental requirements posed by security, protection and environmental and territorial compatibility.
The level of skills obtained at the end of the course allow graduates to enter and operate in the world of work. At the same time, the primary aim of the Bachelor's degree is to prepare the student to the Master of Science in Civil Engineering, which provides a more complete and in-depth expertise to the main topics of Civil Engineering.
The course is divided in different modules and the student will be able to reach the specific objectives of the Bachelor's degree. The first year gives a solid essential preparation in subjects such as Maths, Physics, Geometry, IT (Information Technology) (45 credits/ECTS)
Specific teachings related to the fields of Civil and Environmental engineering are given in order to offer analytical skills and methodological procedures of the fundamentals of Civil engineering: building science and construction techniques, geotechnics, hydraulics, topography, Technical drawing, Technical architecture (63 credits/ECTS). The theoretical preparation goes along with practice exercise, in order to allow students to be able to project constructions of average complexity.
The course modules are worth 108 credits/ECTS, including 45 credits/ECTS in basic subjects and 63 credits/ECTS in specific sectors of Civil and Environmental engineering. Furthermore, the student can choose among two different curricula: Structural or Building Engineering.
The student is required to attend an internship period.
Once completed the Bachelor's degree, students are ready to work in professional environments or to enroll for a Master's degree in Civil Engineering. The whole amount of credits expected by the Bachelor's degree is 180 CFU/ECTS.
Expected learning outcomes
Knowledge and comprehension skills
At the end of the course, the graduate has an adequate theoretical and practical knowledge in Civil Engineering. The skills acquired are aimed to the fluency of the principles and tools necessary to understand the typical problems in Civil Engineering, and the solution of medium complexity problems recurring in the field of Civil Engineering applications. In particular:
- he possesses the fundamental knowledge on the principles, methods and tools for structure modelling;
- he possesses the fundamental knowledge of the principles concerning the physical and mechanical characterisation of land and the main experimental methods for the determination of the relevant parameters;
- he possesses the fundamental knowledge of continuum fluids mechanics and hydraulics;
- he possesses the fundamental knowledge of the principles, methods and tools for structure calculation;
- he possesses the fundamental knowledge on the principles, methods and tools for the hydraulic works calculation and design.
The knowledge and understanding are achieved through the learning activities organised in synchronous or asynchronous classes.
The teaching methods used include both dispensed and interactive teaching through practical exercise in the Virtual Classes. The achievement of learning outcomes is mainly carried out via specific tests and examinations written and/or oral, resulting in the assignment of a rating.
Ability to apply knowledge and comprehension skills
The Bachelor's graduate can apply:
- criteria for the design of structural elements and average complexity structures in reinforced concrete and steel, by applying recurrent patterns;
- current and consolidated methods of calculation for the design of average complexity hydraulic works in urban and extra-urban areas;
- consolidated methods for the design of primary structural elements (retaining walls, floors) and the choice of building materials for road infrastructure;
- criteria for the calculation and the design of various types of simple structures from structural design to sizing, control, and design of construction details.
The student will learn:
- how to apply the theoretical knowledge;
- how to formulate and solve engineering problems;
- how to apply theoretical knowledge to the different project or building systems;
- how to choose and apply the right analytical methodology.
These abilities will be acquired through activities and exercises. Exams, virtual classes or e-tivities will assess these skill
The students gain the ability to:
- perform literature searches, using databases and other sources of information as well as to design and perform appropriate experiments, interpret the data and find results;
- work in laboratory, knowing how to choose and use appropriate equipment tools and methods;
- ability to combine theory and practice to solve engineering problems;
- understand applicable techniques and methods and their limitations and be aware of the technical implications of engineering practice.
Methodologies and knowledge needed to acquire the above-mentioned skills are provided in an organic part of all teaching and learning activities that are part of the course of study.
The verification of the achievement of educational objectives by each student is carried out jointly in the context of all the checks provided in the current study.
The learner must be able to operate individually and/or as part of a group and will have to acquire the ability to communicate effectively within the engineering community and the society in general, both in national and international contexts.
Graduates, therefore, must meet the following communication skills:
- know how to communicate in the cultural, economic and social contexts of contemporary society;
- have relational and decision-making skills;
- be able to communicate effectively in written and oral, in at least one European language other than Italian.
Such capacity will grow within agreed training activities, in moments of discussion and debate in the workshops and in the various opportunities, while they will meet representatives of the working world (conferences, testimonies, guided tours etc.).
The ability to learn is connected with the deductive method of applied science providing the tools to analyse and understand problems other than the subject of specific study. The combination of the teachings and training activities, providing exercise components, bibliographic research and elementary project, means that the student is able to read and understand a university-level scientific text, using reference books about specific problems and to consult manuals for the use of different types and applications software.
The acquisition of these skills in the use of methods and instruments allows the degree in Civil Engineering to proceed to their professional and cultural update.
The graduate's learning skill is checked through specific exams for courses that continue to be the essential tool for the measurement of this ability.
The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering is achieved after passing a final test consisting in the preparation and presentation of an original thesis that can be theoretical, planning, and experimental or with mixed characteristics.
The Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering - Building Engineering Curriculum is achieved by preparing the drafting and presentation of an original thesis that can be of a numerical, design, experimental or bibliographic type. The modalities of discussion of the degree thesis are defined in the regulations of the study programme.