Visa Information

Documents required before departure (Documents and Visa)
Before departure, all students of the "Erasmus mobility program" must have valid documentation for entry the host country, which change according to the student's nationality, duration and reason for the stay request (study/Internship).

  • EU citizens' documents
    EU citizen student must have a valid identity document for expatriation (identity card / passport).
  • Non-EU citizens' documents
    Non-EU citizen student, who has a stay of less than 90 days, is required to consult the appropriate section of the site in order to check any visa application for the host country. In the event that the stay is more than 90 days, the visa application by the student is mandatory and must be carried out at the Italian diplomatic representations of the country of residence

Passport control
EU citizens, in compliance with the Schengen agreements, are not subject to passport control, differently it should be noted that non-EU citizens must possess the following documents, useful in case of control by public authorities:

  • Visa (if necessary).
  • Letter of admission / invitation of Niccolò Cusano University.
  • Medical insurance.
  • Documents relating to accomodation in Italy.

Statement of presence and residence permit

  • • EU citizens
    Once in Italy, EU students included in the Erasmus mobility program are not required to provide other documentation of any kind. N.B. Erasmus students which have to obtain "the educational qualification" in the host country are required to carry out the registration in the municipality of residence of the country of origin.
  • • Non-EU citizens
    Non-EU students who stay less than 90 days are required to present a document called "declaration of presence". This document must be delivered to the Police Office in which the student is domiciled, keeping a paper copy in case of possible controls by the public authorities. In the event that non-EU students would stay more than 90 days, they are obliged to apply for a residence permit, which will allow them to stay in Italy according to current regulations. For further information, please visit:

How to apply for a residence permit for non-EU citizens
All non-EU citizens who intend to stay in Italy for longer than 3 months must apply for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) within 8 working days from their arrival in Italy.

  1. Pick up a residence permit kit at any post office (Poste Italiane). There is one close to our main campus in Via Boccea 232, 00166 Rome.
  2. Complete the application form using a black pen and attach photocopies of the required documents along with a tax revenue stamp (ask for a 16 euros marca da bollo at any tobacconist). Instructions are included in the Residence Permit Kit; however, if you are unsure or are have any difficulties, you can ask for assistance at our International Office.
  3. Alternatively, you can make an appointment with Patronato Labor, an Italian government office established to assist people with their Residence Permit applications. To find locations and opening hours visit:
  4. On completing your application form, you will need to take it back to the post office. On filing your application, you will have to pay 107.50/227.50 euros (for the Residence Permit procedure) and an extra 30 euros (for the postal service), using a pre-printed form you will find inside the kit.
  5. Note: prices for the residence permit procedure vary according to the duration of the requested stay:
    107.50 euros, for periods of stay over 3 months and less than or equivalent to 1 year;
    127.50 euros, for periods of stay over 1 year and less than or equivalent to 2 years;
    227.50 euros, for periods of stay over 2 years.
  6. The post office will give you a receipt for your application, which is your proof of having applied for the residence permit and also indicates the date/time/place of your appointment with the Immigration Office (Police).
    N.B.: always keep the postal receipt with you. It serves as a formal proof that you have applied for a residence permit and it will also allow you to travel within the Schengen Area while you are waiting for your official residence permit card.
  7. You will have to go to the appointment to complete the application for your residence permit. For the first appointment, you must bring 4 passport-sized ID photos with a white background, one of which will be attached to your residence permit.

    For further information about the residence permit:

Tax Code (codice fiscale)
The Codice Fiscale is an alphanumerical code based on your first name, family name and date and place of birth.
It is used by the public administration to identify citizens living in Italy. All those living in Italy need to have one.
The Codice Fiscale is also necessary to apply for a residence permit, to open a bank account, to sign a rent agreement, to obtain a canteen card and to carry out many other procedures/activities.

Tax Code Application Procedure 1 (recommended)
We strongly advise you to apply for a Fiscal Code at the Embassy/Consulate where you apply for a visa.
Erasmus students should contact the Erasmus Office of their receiving Faculty, because in some cases they could issue the Fiscal Code.

Tax Code Application Procedure 2
If the Consulate/Embassy/Faculty will not issue a Fiscal Code, you will have to go to the Agenzia delle Entrate (on Via Ippolito Nievo 36) when you arrive in Rome.
The office is located about 500m from the Trastevere train station and can be reachedwith tram n. 8 or bus no.s 3 or 780, gettingoff at the Piazza Ippolito Nievo stop.
Opening times:
Tuesday-Thursday, 8.45am-12.45pm and 2.15pm-3.35pm