Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences (LM-85) – Psycho-Educational Curriculum
Degree in Pedagogical Sciences (LM-85) the Course in brief
The Master’s Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences is aimed at qualifying and developing high-profile professionals, in those realities that require in-depth knowledge and peculiar synergic competences in the field of pedagogical, social, psychological and juridical sciences, in order to reconcile needs that can be traced back not only to educational aspects but also to psychological, social and juridical ones. These aspects, in particular, are fundamental to ensure the functions of planning, coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation in various social-assistance and psycho-educational as well as socio-legal contexts. The course of study summarises the basic characteristics of the educational pedagogical and psychological aspects, mainly taking care of the acquisition of a systematic and critically aware understanding of pedagogical knowledge, which can be considered dropped – with flexibility – within the various contexts in which today’s high-level, professionally configured educational intervention is expressed, such as: school, cultural, socio-medical, social-assistance, judicial, environmental, integration and international cooperation. The activity carried out is characterised by a systemic and complex viewpoint, operating a careful analysis of the concrete context of reference, with a broad and structured critical control of training knowledge, a strong aptitude for comparison and interdisciplinary collaboration. The Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences also proposes to provide knowledge and skills relating to the support of the differently abled individual, also taking into account the bio-psychological and sociological disciplinary contribution, which together contribute to defining the professional profile.
A characteristic feature of the Degree Course is the presence of two curricula: The Psycho-Educational Curriculum, provides for the acquisition of knowledge and cultural and practical skills in planning, coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation, and will enable the student to work in various educational and training contexts, both in the social-assistance and social-educational sectors, and in the social-health sector with regard to social-educational aspects. In the whole of the Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences, the axiological dimension expresses the sensitivity that a Pedagogist must express towards his or her own professional development, characterised by ethicality that corresponds to attitudes of acceptance, reflexivity, openness, dialogue and responsibility towards education and the formation of intelligences, recognising in each individual a person who is a bearer of rights and fragility to be protected and transformed; also recognising the expression of the right of citizenship also for minors. The training of the pedagogist can’t renounce to consider the deontology that characterises the educational profession, outlining its consequent attitudes and modus operandi. The exercise of the pedagogical profession will include the use of cognitive, methodological and intervention tools for the development and prevention, evaluation and treatment of the discomforts manifested by people in the learning and/or training-education processes and may be exercised in educational institutions, in public and private facilities that deal, from childhood to adulthood, with people with profound specific needs. It will also enable high-profile professional assignments in institutional and professional contexts, both public and private, that require structural expertise and expert advice in the field of educational research in both theoretical and applied fields, including distance learning and the management of the interaction of online learning communities.
- Specialised Pedagogical Sciences
- Professional Profile
- Occupational outlets
- Educational Objectives Psycho-Educational Curriculum
- Final Examination
Degree in Pedagogical Science Online
The online degree course in educational sciences represents the ideal solution for all students, making it possible to pursue this university degree even for those who are unable to attend a traditional university because they are far from home or for professional reasons. Through Unicusano’s e-learning platform, it will be possible to follow the lectures of the online degree course in clinical psychology in telematic mode, study on computer media in the comfort of one’s own home, at one’s own pace, and then sit the exams in the nearest location. Thanks to the quality of the teaching and the locations throughout Italy, Unicusano is now the best choice for those wishing to pursue a degree in educational sciences online.
Professional profile and job opportunities for graduates in Pedagogical Sciences
Function in an employment context:
The Master’s degree graduate in Pedagogical Sciences, operates with complete scientific and professional autonomy and deontological responsibility, carries out functions of planning, coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation, in various educational and training contexts, both in the socio-assistance and socio-educational sectors, and in the socio-health sector with regard to socio-educational aspects, as well as teaching, research and experimentation activities. It carries out its activities in some of the main areas of work contexts, such as school, cultural, socio-medical and socio-assistance, carrying out activities of
- formal education and training with the design and management of educational and cultural activities in direct contact with children, adolescents, the elderly, marginalised subjects;
- education and socio-educational animation;
- diagnosis and redefinition of educational and training paths as well as contributing to the solution of problems affecting the quality of community life (conflict, cooperation, communication, effects of educational needs, etc.);
- coordination and management of helping relationships with people in difficulty (developmental, adult and elderly);
- design and coordination of interventions acting in situations of psychological distress where care, prevention and removal of obstacles to regular learning development in school, community, hospital situations are required;
- the design, organisation and pedagogical management of interventions aimed at the social reintegration of developmental and elderly persons with situations of abuse and mistreatment, or recovering from legal restrictions for juvenile crime, new addictions;
- the implementation of activities for the prevention of distress, cultural entertainment and aggregation aimed at the elderly inside or outside hospitalisation or restriction facilities.
In addition, the Pedagogist may collaborate with other professional figures, such as the neuropsychiatrist and the judge, to implement educational interventions aimed at supporting family relationships, developing support and help networks in situations of disability, developing psycho-educational interventions and health promotion, modifying risk behaviour, social inclusion and participation, and quality of community life (conflict, cooperation, communication, effects of educational needs, etc.).
Competences associated with the function
The Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences has competences to carry out activities related to the design, planning, implementation, management and evaluation of educational and training actions of public or private and third sector education and training services and systems. He/she has competences to carry out
- designing and implementing educational interventions for the improvement of learning, especially in relation to educational needs and learning disorders, and in particular participating in the design and coordination of interventions for the rehabilitation, re-education and social integration of individuals with practical disabilities or with neuropsychological deficits, resulting from or produced by some form of addiction;
- cooperate, within the prison system, in the assessment of states of psycho-socio-sanitary distress;
- cooperate in psychological interventions and health promotion activities, in the modification of risk behaviours, social inclusion and participation through the setting up of specific educational paths;
- carry out analyses of socio-legal work situations in order to design and redesign safe, efficient learning environments consistent with the needs of individuals and groups.
It also contributes to the coordination of the aforementioned services and systems and of educational actions and in particular carries out
- analysis of social and health work situations in order to design and redesign learning environments that are safe, efficient and consistent with the needs of individuals and groups;
- design and application of qualitative and quantitative tools for measuring educational and training phenomena and processes;
- design, management and coordination of orientation, selective, training and change interventions implemented with regard to individuals, groups and communities;
- design, management and coordination of analyses and evaluative research following social and technological changes;
- consultancy and cooperation activities with practitioners from other disciplines involved in people intervention projects.
The Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences is able to manage and coordinate educational contexts and educational services and to design and carry out educational activities in various services. In particular, he/she can work within public and private services and facilities:
- out-of-school services for children;
- educational services in educational institutions;
- out-of-school services for the inclusion and prevention of hardship and school drop-out;
- parenting and family services;
- remedial and integration services;
- formal and non-formal education services for adults;
- services for the elderly and geriatric services;
- educational, recreational, artistic-expressive, sports, animation and leisure services from early childhood to adulthood;
- environmental education services;
- services for the knowledge, preservation and valorisation of the cultural heritage;
- educational services in the field of information, communication, multimedia, cultural promotion and reading;
- services for the development of international cooperation;
- educational services in the prison system and the re-socialisation of prisoners;
- assistance services for minors involved in the judicial and penitentiary circuit;
- educational services in work contexts, training services, job placement.
In addition, other jobs concern:
- territorial structures dealing with the prevention and reduction of social distress in relation to different age groups (juvenile deviance, drug addiction, physical and mental disorders in old age);
- institutions (public and private) dealing with problems related to gender differences and equal opportunities;
- the structures working in the field of intercultural mediation processes;
- local recreational and cultural facilities. Finally, other jobs may concern
- the structures in the territory that deal with the prevention and reduction of social unease in relation to different age groups (juvenile deviance, drug addiction, physical and mental disorders in old age)
- institutions (public and private) dealing with problems related to gender differences and equal opportunities;
- the structures working in the field of intercultural mediation processes;
- local recreational and cultural facilities.
- Degree course in Pedagogical Sciences prepares for the profession of (ISTAT codes)
- Experts in the study, management and control of social phenomena – (126.96.36.199.1)
- Specialists in the education and training of disabled persons – (188.8.131.52.0);
- Experts in educational and curricular planning – (184.108.40.206.2);
- Guidance counsellors – (220.127.116.11.0);
Knowledge required for access
Access to the Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences requires a Bachelor’s Degree in class L-19 or class 18 (ex D.M. 509/1999). Admission to the Master’s Degree Course may also apply to those who hold a three-year degree in other classes, or another qualification awarded abroad that is recognised as suitable, or a degree relating to the previous four-year system, provided they meet the following curricular requirements – 27 CREDITS in the following fields: M-PED/01 M-PED/02 M-PED/03 M-PED/04 of which at least 18 among: M-PED/01 M-PED/02 M-PED/04 – 18 CREDITS in the following sectors: 9 CREDITS M-PSI/01 9 CREDITS between M-PSI/02- M-PSI/04- M-PSI/05 -MPSI/06; – 9 CREDITS in the following sectors: SPS/07 SPS/08 SPS/09 SPS/12 Any gaps in the course of study, with respect to the prescribed curricular requirements, must be filled before the beginning of the course and the verification of individual preparation, in order to be able to follow the courses with profit. The procedures for admission and verification of the adequacy of personal preparation and of the curricular requirements that must be met for admission to the Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences are established by the University, with procedures defined in the course’s Teaching Regulations.
Specific educational objectives of the Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Sciences and description of the educational pathway
The objectives of the Master’s Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences are functional to the acquisition of theoretical and practical skills by implementing a multidisciplinary training, which includes pedagogy, cognitive and developmental psychology, anthropology, sociology, law and evaluation. In concrete terms, the course of study proposes specific qualifying training objectives, namely the acquisition and development of conceptual and methodological aspects that make it possible to
- design interventions with planned educational actions and in order to promote and foster the development of people’s learning, formative and cultural development from childhood onwards;
- design and organise educational interventions in the age of development, in the family, in the elderly world, in psycho-educational services, in schools and in the territory
- supervise individual and group dynamics (in the family and in educational, re-educational and rehabilitation centres) connected with the presence of relational disorders and psychic pathologies, addictions, handicaps;
- organise, in a manner consistent with territorial needs, with institutional requirements and with those of individuals, interventions aimed at increasing the autonomy and integration of individuals with disorders and difficulties;
- create communicative and expressive contexts capable of reducing, within institutional structures, youth discomfort, the problem of school drop-outs, that of minors at social risk and adults in difficulty; – promote environmental education projects aimed at the prevention and removal of health and territorial risks, aimed at the population
- to develop projects for the prevention and protection of risks in the workplace (as per legislative decree 262/94 and subsequent supplements);
- to develop a coordinated system for the reception and limitation of the risk of deviance associated with the presence, at specific facilities and also outside them, of migrants and nomads.
The Master’s Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences intends to train professionals in pedagogy capable of demonstrating competences, knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical, linked both to the specific sector of the pedagogical dimension, through the study of techniques for the design, coordination, management and evaluation of training courses, and to the sector of the psychological and social dimension, by investigating the various processes of learning and behaviour, and finally to the anthropological sector, by examining the specific problems of the societies in which we live, such as the integration and inclusion of different ethnic groups and cultures, and of the environment. In order to achieve the specific objectives, the training pathway is organised in such a way as to progressively acquire competences, knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical, related both to the acquisition of scientific autonomy and to the coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation, in various socio-educational and socio-welfare contexts, deepening the study of planning techniques, coordination, management and evaluation of training courses, both in the specific sector of the psycho-pedagogical dimension, delving into the various learning and behavioural processes, and in the socio-legal sector, delving into aspects of the organisation of social communities and the ability to recognise deviance, especially of minors.
The training programme includes, in the organisation of assisted teaching, experiential activities implemented through and internship and interactive teaching. In particular, the internship carried out outside the university is characterised by and aimed at the direct engagement of the student in typical work activities capable of bringing out, within the experience, both the maturation and progressive openness to interpersonal relations and the development of a personal work methodology. The Master’s Degree Course in Pedagogical Sciences is intended to train professionals in pedagogy capable of demonstrating competences, knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical, linked both to the specific sector of the pedagogical dimension, through the study of techniques for the design, coordination, management and evaluation of training courses, and to the sector of the psychological and social dimension, by examining in depth the various processes of learning and behaviour, and finally to the anthropological sector, by examining the specific problems of the societies in which we live, such as the integration and inclusion of different ethnic groups and cultures, and of the environment. In order to achieve the specific objectives, the training pathway is organised in such a way as to progressively acquire competences, knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical, related both to the acquisition of scientific autonomy and to the coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation, in various socio-educational and socio-welfare contexts, deepening the study of planning techniques, coordination, management and evaluation of training courses, both in the specific sector of the psycho-pedagogical dimension, delving into the various learning and behavioural processes, and in the socio-legal sector, delving into aspects of the organisation of social communities and the ability to recognise deviance, especially of minors. The training programme includes, in the organisation of assisted teaching, experiential activities implemented through and internship and interactive teaching. In particular, the internship carried out outside the university is characterised and aimed at the direct engagement of the student in typical work activities capable of bringing out, within the experience, both the maturation and progressive openness to interpersonal relations and the development of a personal work methodology.
Expected learning outcomes
Knowledge and comprehension skills
The Study Course aims to provide a solid basic, theoretical and methodological preparation in the pedagogical disciplines, in the social disciplines and in the psychological-functional disciplines. The training is organised in such a way as to enable the student to build a fundamental knowledge of educational contexts, of the regulatory frameworks within which educational systems are embedded, of the main theoretical and methodological tools used by empirical and experimental research in the pedagogical, anthropological, psychological and physiological fields. For the Psycho-educational Pedagogist address, the in-depth study will concern the knowledge of the theoretical frameworks and practices necessary is aimed at understanding and enhancing the connection between theories and practices of acting in complex, intercultural and interdisciplinary educational and social contexts; this knowledge is used both to achieve an understanding and awareness of cultural, affective and cognitive processes and to the inclusion of the disabled in the more general context of the support network for the person, on the basis of the principle of subsidiarity in services to citizens. Finally, knowledge is supplemented by the use of the English language, which is indispensable for study and further education and for operating in intercultural contexts, and by the conceptual bases for a conscious use of information technology and for its critical use in the selection of information and the interpretation of research data. The assessment of the students’ acquisition of basic knowledge, i.e. degree of preparation, is carried out by means of profit examinations (quantified in thirtieths), either written or oral, with learning tests comprising, alternatively or in conjunction, short essays or problems to be solved or a set of multiple-choice questions.
Ability to apply knowledge and understanding
In participating in the training process, the student will be able to apply the conceptual awareness acquired to concrete cases (teaching substitution activity for situational learning), being able to carry out an interpretation and recognition of the main pedagogical, psychological, social and legal issues in relation to their context of origin and development and to apply the ability to master the knowledge related to the sciences of reference in the conception, design and evaluation of educational interventions related to individuals, groups and services, modulated on the specific contexts of intervention, such as schools and rehabilitation centres. For the psycho-educational pedagogist profile, it will be highlighted how in the work contexts one can choose the most appropriate tools, methods and techniques for psycho-pedagogical action/research interventions, the contextualisation of educational actions within regulatory frameworks, the use of new technologies in educational, lifelong learning and research contexts. Situations will be tackled that enable the ability to identify, develop and evaluate the most appropriate methodologies for interventions for the promotion of cognitive, functional prevention and recovery, through re-education and social reintegration, at individual, group and community level, design and organisation of health and recovery services, in continuous relation and sharing with all the actors involved. The students’ ability to apply the acquired knowledge is assessed through the evaluation (expressed in thirtieths) of both the performance in the virtual classroom of the activities prepared by the teachers of each teaching in the curriculum and the performance in the examination sessions, either written or oral, with learning tests including, alternatively, short essays or problems to be solved.
The final degree title will be awarded to students who have demonstrated the ability to integrate knowledge and manage complexity, as well as to make judgements on the basis of limited or incomplete information, including reflection on the social and ethical responsibilities associated with the application of their knowledge and judgements. In particular, students on the Course will be able to take on as pedagogues, with their own scientific autonomy and deontological responsibility, functions of planning, coordination, intervention and pedagogical evaluation, in various educational and training contexts, both in the socio-assistance and socio-educational sectors, and in the socio-health sector with regard to socio-educational aspects, as well as teaching, research and intervention experimentation activities, to exercise full professional autonomy and to work collaboratively with management and other professional figures in the various work and organisational contexts in order to create working and collaborative conditions that support the expression and full exploitation of personal talents. Autonomy of judgement (making judgements) is assessed during each examination, in the practical/experiential workshops and in the interactive activities in the virtual classrooms.
At the end of the course, the Master’s degree student will have acquired adequate skills and tools for the management and communication of information both to users and to specialists in the field, having had the opportunity to consolidate their language and computer skills. They will be prepared for a professional approach and will have developed the aptitude to work both in a team and with adequate autonomy. Communication skills are proposed to the student as central to the pedagogue‘s professionalism, in the context of each teaching. They are directly tested in the examination papers.
Participation in training activities, determined by the individual teachings, will make it possible to increase cognitive and operational tools so as to achieve the necessary competences for the development of professionalism and at the same time lay the foundations for further training with subsequent studies (specialisation schools, doctorate), and in the promotion and self-evaluation of professional quality. The training activities for the achievement of the expected results are above all internship activities and thesis research. The teaching methods and tools for achieving the stated objectives will be: interactive teaching activities, seminar activities, tests (also intermediate) of the cited examinations (oral or written) and the discussion of the dissertation. Verification of learning, which takes place by means of written and/or oral tests, makes it possible to monitor the development of knowledge and thus also to improve learning ability. For this improvement, interactive teaching activities are also considered, aimed at stimulating work involving a critical and personal re-elaboration of specific theoretical or research topics, in which comparisons and evaluations by the student are required (forums,) and reports and/or projects (e-activities and wikis).
The final examination consists of the presentation and discussion of an original project to be carried out under the guidance of a lecturer, within the disciplines forming part of the Master’s degree course in Pedagogical Sciences. The aim of this test is to confirm the skills acquired and the communicative-expository abilities, autonomy of judgement, ability to generalise learning, etc., in relation to the profession. The aim of the final exam is to verify, in the form of a written report, the critical acquisition of the main disciplinary contents tackled, in order to bring out the ability of the master’s degree student to make a synthesis of the constructs qualifying the course of study. This ability aims at confirming with a conclusive and personal work the communication-expository skills, the autonomy of judgement, the ability to generalise learning and the ability to design, plan and evaluate socio-educational and cognitive-functional interventions.